History of our School
Swaffham Bulbeck ‘Charity School’ was founded in 1721 with £50, given by the will of Frances Towers (sister of the then vicar of Swaffham Bulbeck) and a sum of £109.10s given by Richard Hill (Curate to her brother). Mr Hill as one of the executors of her will, purchased 11 acres of land at Wicken, Cambridgeshire with the two sums of money. The land provided an annual rent of £50 to support the school and pay the Master. A schoolroom for the children and a house for the Master were provided (this building, much altered, is now the village hall).
Frances Towers had stipulated in her will that the scholars would be nominated by the vicar and ‘kept constantly at School on weekdays and to church on the Lord’s day and when sufficiently well read in the Bible, to be removed to make way for others’. Leavers were to receive a new Octavo Bible. A tradition which has been adapted to today, with all school leavers receiving a book of their choice at the end of the Summer term.
In 1840 the School was enlarged by a grant from the National School’s Society.
The School today is Church of England Controlled, meaning that the Church has an input into the government of the school via its three Foundation Governors. However, funding comes through Cambridgeshire County Council, the Local Authority (LA).
Pupils come mainly from Swaffham Bulbeck and surrounding villages, however, children do travel from further afield due to the school’s excellent reputation.
There is a mix of old and new buildings, which blend well together to provide good teaching space, set in the centre of the attractive and historic village of Swaffham Bulbeck. There are 4 class areas as well as a purpose built hall and ICT suite/Library. The conversion of the village hall to our Early Years Centre in 2007 made a significant improvement to our facilities.
Outside there is a hard surfaced playground and a large safety-surface play area with a good variety of equipment. A grassed area is set aside as a well-established environmental study and forest school area with mature trees and a pond.